IFN-CNR (Institute for Photonics and Nanotechnologies) carries out innovative research in the fields of photonics and nanotechnologies and on the integration among them, considering both fundamental research and applications, involving the development of novel photonic, electronic and optoelectronic devices, systems and equipment. The institute is tightly integrated with the national scientific community and collaborates with the major international Universities and research centres through targeted projects funded by main national and international agencies and foundations. It is also involved in different outreach and dissemination initiatives and projects in the Italian and European context. IFN-CNR belongs to the Italian National Research Council (CNR), the main Italian public research institution, which is in charge to carry out, promote, spread, transfer and improve research activities in the main sectors of knowledge growth and of its applications for the scientific, technological, economic and social development of the Country.
IFN-CNR has a long experience in the field of optics and photonics with many excellences in advanced research, applications, technology transfer, outreach, and didactics. It has a network structure diffused on the Italian territory in close contact with universities, local administrations, companies and entrepreneurs, schools and, more recently, with local Fablabs.
The institute is member of ECOP (the European Center for Outreach in Photonics), partner in the Photonics4All EU Project, and it is promoter of a series of STEM activities:
- Workshops, laboratories and conferences in middle and high schools
- Workshops for teachers, in particular with the Photonics Explorer kit by EYESTvzw
- Participation to the European Researchers Nights
- Collaboration with MUSE, the Science Museum of Trento
- Partner in the EU project Photonics4All (2015-2016)
- Organization of the Photonics Games competition for High School Students (2015-2016) in the ambit of the EU Project Photonics4All
- Conferences in Science Festivals and other public events
- Organization of laboratories/events in Science Festivals and other public events
Of particular importance for the project is the long experience in both photonics research and outreach and the strong network of direct contacts with teachers, students, young professionals and associations diffused on the territory.